Radioactive


I think protest are a great way to increase the visibility of an issue that we are facing. For example the 4/20 Walk Out was a great way for young people to show adults we are no longer staying silent when our safety is threatened. The Climate Strike was the same idea.

There are many people who didn't go to the climate strike because they don't see the reason or do see how a strike would will help. Honestly, I understand this outlook but it's better to do something than nothing at all, in my opinion. Showing solidarity for an issue can say a lot about how prevalent it truly is, and increase pressure on those in more powerful positions to do something.

The strike was empowering and inspiring. Uni, University of Illinois, and CMS (Campus Middle School) students came together to raise awarness about climate change. I can't tell you specifically what the local movement changed but I will tell you its goals:

1) Raise public awareness of the issue
2) Have the university divest from fossil fuels
3) Have the university invest in renewable clean energy
4) Have Governer Pritzker sign the clean jobs act
5) Protect native lands

A fox reporter recently said the movement was led by a "mentally ill Swedish child", but if you listen to what Greta Thunberg has to say there isn't much you can disagree with. I watched a clip of Greta Thunberg and Trevor Noah. Trevor asked Greta to compare how climate change was talked about in the United States to Sweden. I just had to laugh at the response. She explained in Sweden climate change is talked about as a fact, while in the United States it is talked about more as a something you believe in. It's true, climate change is a fact and it's happening fast. It is so amazing that young people have taken an issue as big as climate change into their own hands. Something needs to be done, starting with people acknowledging the threat climate change poses.

Comments

  1. I debated not going to the climate strike just because it seemed so pointless, but decided to go anyway just because, like you said, participating was better than sitting around doing nothing. I agree that it was empowering, especially when we made it to the quad and were joined by the mass of U of I students.
    Also, I heard about the guest on Fox calling Thunberg "mentally ill", and apparently Fox even apologized to her for it. Imagine saying something so awful that Fox News feels the need to apologize for it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you felt the strike was empowering and inspiring. I also agree with your beliefs that it's better to do something than nothing at all. I am very glad you enjoyed the strike. Hopefully it opened the eyes of the people so we can make a change to ensure our future. I also heard about what the reporter said about Greta. It was so frustrating to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the strike felt empowering and inspiring! I’m honestly really glad that I participated in it. Climate change is such a big issue and has been becoming increasingly important as it gets worse. The amount of people who showed up to raise awareness made me really happy because it shows that there are so many other people who do care! I also cannot believe that someone on Fox News called her “mentally ill” (I mean I can, given it’s Fox News, but still).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it is nice to be surrounded by so many like-minded young individuals and the atmosphere is very empowering. It gives me hope for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's crazy that in the U.S climate change is seen as more of a "liberal" belief, and not a pressing environmental issue. It blows my mind that there is so much research, data, and evidence that proves that climate change is very real, and people still refuse to accept as an issue. I honestly don't understand how someone could think that caring about the environment is a bad thing. Wild.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not gonna lie, I was one of the few people who didn't actually go to the climate strike. It's not that I don't believe in climate change or global warming, its just that I guess I didn't see how a strike would will help. After reading this, I do feel that I should've gone and felt the empowering atmosphere that you described, and maybe feel inspired myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ultralight Beam

Stressed Out