What a Wonderful World

I am really not the type of person to go camping, but if there is an opportunity to miss school I would willingly sleep in a ditch. A lot happened on the camping trip; canoes flipping over, animal encounters, but worst of all a thunderstorm. I don't like thunderstorms even when I am in an architecturally strong building (my house), so knowing I was fabric away from being struck by lightening was not my cup of tea. We were not even allowed to stay in the tents, because of the metal rods going through them in order to hold them up. Instead we all had to run through the heavy rain in order to get to a rock over hang. It was the middle of the night and the any source of light that we had was from our tiny head lights (kind of like the things miners wear).

It wasn't as scary as it could have been because I had all of my friends with me going through the same thing. I was still gripping onto my only source of light when the camp leader came up to me and asked to use it, out loud I said something like "a heck nah, this is the only thing that is keeping me sane". After him persistently asking a gave up my little light of hope. I swear a single tear fell, stinging my already wet cheek.

We stayed huddled there for what seemed like hours, but was probably only 20 mins. To pass the time we talked, shared stories, and bonded as a middle school class. The sound of rain and near thunder was the background of our conversations.

It was not that scary of an experience, and when I look back at it I completely overreacted. It was a very fun trip we got to get away from the life we are so accustom to and sleep under the stars. There was even one moment where my scrawny 7th grade class and I walked miles with canoes over our head, and we couldn't finish the trail so we had to wait under a bridge for a bus to come get us. The stories are always the best parts of a trip.

Comments

  1. I remember back at NGS my class couldn't go on the camping trip because the teachers said, 6 months ahead of time, that the "weather wouldn't be good". It's around time for my brother's class's camping trip. He was deciding if he should go or not, and I thought he should because then I'd get an idea of what it was like. I used to always want to go camping. I was really into that stuff. Now, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to this brown person youth camp in North Carolina and something similar happened. It started raining super hard and it was scarily dark outside and all I could think about was the Blair Witch Project. Also this is slightly unrelated but I have this close friend who had scoliosis. To straighten out her back they put a metal rod and she's recommended not to be outside during thunderstorms which we laugh about sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Radioactive

Ultralight Beam

Stressed Out