Say My Name, Say My Name

I guess I should introduce myself since this blog is all about my name and you might not even know it.  I’m Samaia (suh-my-yah if that helps), I'm a Senior and honestly my writing skills are not the best (so hopefully this blog gets better over time). I have always appreciated my name, I couldn't imagine having a different one. In my family we all have names that start with an S except for my dad. Sammer (mom), Silas (twin brother), Sidney (younger sister), and Douglas (dad).

I have always compared my name to my siblings and mine is the easiest to misspell and hardest to pronounce. People I have known for several years still misspell my name. I have meet only a few "suh-my-yah's", and I have never meet someone who has the same spelling. I remember being assigned to sit next to a girl on the bus with my name, I was so shocked and thought it was such a rare coincidence.

I love my middle name and the story that goes along with it, Milan (my first name doesn't really have a story). My parents had been trying to have kids for a while, around 8 months. They were scheduled to take a trip to Milan when they found out they were pregnant, not knowing they were having twins. My parents later saw it fitting to give me the middle name Milan, remembering the plans they made that my conception conveniently interrupted.

My last name Jones, fits well because everyone knows how to spell it. When asked for my name I always go "S-A-M-A-I-A Jones", I'm glad that I don't need to spell my last name as well as my first name. I like my last name but that's really all I have to say about it, nothing really special.

I've thought and struggled to understand how your name is huge part of your identity yet you have no control over it for the first 18 years of your life. You can give yourself nicknames but even then nicknames usually come from others. I guess it makes sense because your name is used primarily by the peers around you. Luckily, I love my name. I like the ring it has, Samaia Milan Jones, when I talked to my parents about my name they said they tried very hard to give everyone names that sound nice and roll of the tongue.


Comments

  1. I also love your name. I think it's so cool and flows very nicely off your tongue. It's not a very "basic" name but not the most uncommon which I think is nice for you. I like the last part you were talking about how you don't get to choose your name even though it is so important. I agree with this, but also I think your parents chose well and hope you don't change it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the first time I met you I loved your name. It sounds super pretty and not common at all. I think it suits you because you're one in a million. Your full name is so cool and unique. I loved reading about your parents thought process when choosing your name. They did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also noticed that you and your siblings all have names that start with "S", which is super cool! But I didn't know that your middle name as also so interesting I feel like middle names are where parents get very creative and try out some crazy things. I wonder what Silas's middle name is since your middle name is Milan. Is it Italy or something? That would be super cool. I think you have a very fun and unique name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The background story to your middle name is the cutest thing ever! Milan is a really pretty name, but I also love the name Samaia. I remember when I first heard your name, I knew that you had some Arab in you because Samaia is super close to Sumayya, which is an Arabic name. Anyway, I think your name is super cool and you should be proud of it ! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Radioactive

Ultralight Beam

Stressed Out